A LIBERAL VOICE FOR A LIBERAL CITY
SAVING OUR SCHOOLS AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE
Nationally, the Liberal Democrats want to provide an extra £7bn for our overstretched education sector, to prevent the Conservatives opening new grammar schools and to triple the Pupil Premium, so that financially disadvantaged students are provided with additional support to decrease the attainment gap between rich and poor students.
Given the large funding shortfalls in our local area, the extra money proposed nationally can be used to:
- Meet the needs of local schools as highlighted in the Save Our Schools campaign so that they have enough teachers, teaching assistants, books and equipment.
- Provide additional funding for Special Educational Needs, which has been suffering from the effects of excessive cuts.
- Encourage primary schools to provide foreign language teaching, when students are most able to learn these skills.
In addition we would:
- Oppose the selling off of school grounds.
- Encourage the sharing of sports facilities between schools and the local community.
- Work with charities and local supermarkets to end period poverty in schools.