A LIBERAL VOICE FOR A LIBERAL CITY
In our city we face many challenges and some important topics don't fit neatly into our five main themes. So, we would like to briefly highlight other ways in which we believe Liberal Democrat policies can help our city.
Health and social care
Nationally and locally, health services are struggling with government cuts, with each winter bringing a new crisis. Currently, Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust is performing worst in the country in mental health treatment.
We believe the NHS needs both a large increase in funding, starting with a penny in the pound on income tax dedicated to funding the NHS, and reforms to treat mental health as seriously as physical health and to integrate healthcare and social care.
In the short-term, we would help our health services locally by:
- Promoting community pharmacies as a front line of support for minor ailments, reducing stress on GPs and A&E.
- Putting up mental health signage near busy roads and train stations so that health services are likely to get involved at an earlier stage.
Transport and infrastructure
While our bus network is superior to those of most other UK cities, there is always room for improvement, and air pollution is an ongoing problem locally. We propose:
- Developing a new Park and Ride at Mill Road. The site is used temporarily for this purpose on Brighton & Hove Albion match days and if made into a permanent site could reduce traffic in the city centre, as with the successful Park and Rides used in Oxford.
- Expansion of the cycle lane network where viable. Cycling is environmentally friendly and good for public health, but dependent on making infrastructure cyclist-friendly.
- Whenever possible, providing infrastructure for electric vehicles in the city and encouraging Brighton and Hove Buses to adopt electric buses.
Let's get to work
We think ourselves lucky to live in the best city in the country, and we're excited about the opportunity to make things even better. For a real solution to the housing crisis, getting the basics right, fighting Brexit, saving our schools and having pride in our city, vote Liberal Democrat on 2nd May. With your help, we can get to work.