A LIBERAL VOICE FOR A LIBERAL CITY
GETTING THE BASICS RIGHT
The council has been neglecting the basics in running the city - our roads and pavements are bumpy with potholes and cracks, our recycling service is limited in range and the majority of our household waste ends up incinerated instead of recycled.
Meanwhile important infrastructure developments are put to tender using opaque and obscure processes and agreed on behind closed doors. We demand better from our council and believe our city councillors must be held accountable. We would:
- Fight the secret decision-making that Labour, the Greens and the Conservatives demonstrated on the troubled King Alfred project. All local residents should have the right to be consulted about planning matters and other major matters that concern them.
- Invest in the city, copying the local investment model used by Eastbourne Liberal Democrats to raise money for infrastructure projects and keep their council financially solvent.
- Lobby the government for extra money from the Pothole Action Fund to repair our roads and resurface unsafe pavements.
- Attempt to renegotiate our current recycling contracts to accept a wider range of plastics and run a city-wide composting scheme so we can enjoy the same quality of recycling services as the rest of the country.
- Use any extra maintenance funds to renovate our poorly-maintained public toilets.