Prime Minister fined for not wearing a car seat belt.
The Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak, appeared on video extolling the virtues of the Tory Party and the Tory Government whilst deliberately not wearing his car seat belt. It's what is known as the government telling the rest of the population how to to follow the Highway Code, or do as I say not as I do.
Make a Difference. Become a Liberal Democrat
Help to elect Lib Dem Councillors
Why not make a small regular monthly donation - £2 or £3 makes a big difference.
Do you care how your city is run?
Do you think things could be better?
Be the person to make your mark.
Become a Liberal Democrat Councillor
To find out more contact us at email@example.com
Monthly Coffee Morning
Come and meet us. We get together each month for a coffee morning; Just choose which constituency you would like to get to know and turn up and treat yourself to a coffee or tea and a chat. For details for each constituency, Hove, Kemptown, or Pavilion go to our Calendar of Events page under Local Lib Dems and click on the coffee event you you would like to attend.
UK faces longest period of wage stagnation for two centuries.
As the implications of the latest austerity budget sink in, the FT calculates that based on long run estimates the UK is set to experience the longest run of wage stagnation in two centuries. Twelve years of Tory misrule are taking us back to conditions that existed in the 1820s. Is this what Brexit and Tory visions of Sovereignty are all about? The highest tax levels since the second world war, poverty not experienced since the 1950s and failing public services are not what people voted for. We need a General Election now. We need a new system of electing who governs us. We need rid of the failed Tories.
Join us in the call for a fair deal. Join the Liberal Democrats.
Click Here to join us.
Ed Davey speaks to the Liberal Democrates
Ed delivered his Autumn speech online to members on 6 November 2022. In his speech he spoke about the damage being done to the economy and peoples' finances by the Conservative Party.
Click below to watch his speech
Corruption in Government
By some measures the Tories have become so corrupt that we thought it was time to start logging just how and in what forms that corruption takes place. We label practices corrupt if they benefit the Tory Government or their supporters at the expense of others or the country as a whole. There are countless examples in the last few years from the attempt to mislead the Queen by giving wrong advice about parliament, to awarding contracts for PPE to companies and individuals without any scrutiny of their ability to deliver. The list seems endless but as we now have a Prime Minister who, promised to lead a government of "integrity, professionalism and accountability", we thought we would see just how honest they really are.
- 29/01/2023 - Nadhim Zahawi sacked as Tory Party Chair and Cabinet member after he was found to have breached the Ministerial Code. Sir Laurie Magnus, the Prime Minister's Ethics Advisor found that Nadhim Zahawi had twice breached the Ministerial Code in first failing to advise officials that he was under investigation over his tax affairs when he was appointed Chancellor of the Exchequor and secondly for failing to officially declare that he had paid a settlement to HMRC when he was appointed Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and a Minister under Liz Truss, and for failing to declare the same settlement to Rishi Sunak when he was appointed Tory Party Chair and Minister without Portfolio.
- 24/01/2023 - Rishi Sunak, the Prime Minister, refers Nadhim Zahawi to the the Governement Ethics Commissioner over his behaviour regarding his personal tax affairs whilst Chancellor of the Exchequor. He also refers the appointment of Richard Sharp the current Chair of the BBC over the manner of Sharp's appointment and involvement in a loan of £800,000 sought by Boris Johnson, then the Prime Minister.
- 21/01/2023 - Nadhim Zahawi the Tory Party Chair finally admitted that he had reached a settlement with HMRC over his tax affairs after denying that anything had been wrong with them. Calls were made for the parliamentary standards commissioner to carry out an investigation into what was known when Zahawi was appointed Chancellor by Boris Johnson, shortly before Johnson resigned. For a politician to have been appointed Chancellor when his tax affairs were red flagged by officials is a prime example of corrupt standards rampant within the Tory government.
- 14/12/2022 - PM calls for further 5 cases to be considered into bullying allegations against Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab. That makes 8 cases in all that the barrister Adam Tolley KC is now investigating. Following on from the upheld bullying cases against Priti Patel when she was in government it shows the contempt and disregard that some senior Tories have for their work colleagues.
- 14/12/2022 - The Guardian points out the failure to appoint a Victims Commissioner for England & Wales to monitor and defend the interests of those who suffer from lack of proper scrutiny of legislation. Perpetrator? Dominic Raab the Justice Secretary and Lord Chancellor.
Event: Feb 4, 2023 10:00 AM
Come along to the Laughing Dog, 31 The Octagon, Mariner's Quay, Brighton Marina, Brighton, BN2 5WA hosted by Stewart Stone and Simon Jardine and enjoy a coffee & chat on this beautiful bit of coastline.
Stewart and Simon will be there from 10am on the first Saturday of every month and are always happy to see new faces! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information.
Event: Feb 6, 2023 7:00 AM - 8:30 AM
Event: Feb 10, 2023 11:00 AM
This monthly meet-up is a great opportunity to meet other Liberal Democrat members and candidates in the Brighton Pavilion area.
Pop along to the Muse Cafe, 37 Queens Road, BN1 3XB from 11.00am on the second Friday of the month for coffee and chat, hosted by Hyder Khalil (email@example.com) and Frances Lindsay-Hills (firstname.lastname@example.org). New faces are always welcome!
Article: Jan 31, 2023
The UK has been given its worst ever score in the corruption index produced by Transparency International. It scored 73 out of 100 placing it 18th in the list, its lowest score since records began in 1995. According to an article in the Daily Mail this can be attributed to the number of scandals from public spending to lobbying. These together with revelations of ministerial misconduct have highlighted woeful inadequacies in the country's political integrity systems.
Article: Jan 29, 2023
Reports in the Observer talk about a dire situation in a Home Office run Brighton & Hove Hotel for child asylum seekers. An attempted abduction of three of the children was foiled by police who had been alerted by a member of the public who warned them something suspicious was going on. The article also mentions that up to 76 children have gone missing from the hotel and that dozens have been kidnapped by gangs. The article goes on to claim that there have been allegations of threatened violence and intimidation against the children over misbehaviour. A Brighton & Hove Liberal Democrat spokesperson said questions need to be asked about what the local authorities know about the hotel and what their powers are to regulate the goings on there. This is a stain on the reputation of the city and needs to be investigated by the relevant local powers.
Article: Jan 28, 2023By Trevor Freeman
28/01/2023 - An article in The Daily Mail showed that after Manchester, Brighton alongside London has the most expensive council car parks in the country. Manchester at £5.70 per hour leads the pack with Brighton and London following at £4.50 per hour. The recent attempt by the council to increase the residential and on street parking fees by 10% per annum only goes to show that the City Council views the motorist as a cash cow in their attempt to make up for government cut backs. Their policies have already resulted in a loss of £1.7 million income from parking permits. This can only mean that motorists are already finding it hard to meet the cost of parking in the city. With the high prices they charge for traders parking permits the question must also be asked whether that is impacting the level of business and the availability of services in the city.